Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Life After Bushfires // Tues 19th January, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

@Klutz thats awful, im sorry you had to go through that. i can only imagine what its like to loose a house, shop, property etc.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Life After Bushfires // Tues 19th January, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

@outlander how very generous of you! & @Klutz, it's so important to have those voices speaking to the lived experience. Not an easy thing to do, but oh so important! 😊 

I’ve been living on my burnt out property since two weeks after we lost it. Accomodation was lacking here and was told if I didn’t move an hour away from my home that I won’t get help. I stayed, they were right my kids and I were left to fend for ourselves. It’s been bad here we haven’t just had no support but the support networks here have gone out of their way to make sure we are kept silent and deferring anyone who wishes to help us 😞 it’s been hard, really really hard

There is so much lived experience held in this community, and so many here to offer and seek support which is really powerful. 

Question 2:
Many communities impacted by bushfires in 2019-2020 are rebuilding and reforming a year on. There have been many stories coming from these communities about connection and recovery.

What are some of the stories you are hearing from your communities? What are communities experiencing and feeling at the moment?

to be honest @Daisydreamer I've spent a lot of time just talking with people  and listening to them and trying to encourage them to just vent, rant whatever about what they have experienced and witnessed - I encourage them to look at some of the self-care, well-being resources I have accessed over the years 

@JLD that's awful! I'm so sorry to hear of the struggles you've had to go through, though I feel like this speaks to your strength and resilience having made it through to now.

@TideisTurning i was lucky enough to not be in the direct path of the fire though i was surrounded so there was literally no where to go as they were closing in on a few fronts. i had a few friends who did loose houses and animals as well so i rescued them where i possibly could till it was safe for them to go home or they could manage to find a safe place to live till they got back on their feet. i also saw the devastation myself during recent travels and through 2 family members who were out fighting those fires on the frontline

So many of you have lost so much - I didnt loose anything but I was absolutely terrified I might. The fires were far too close and I feel ad though I will never forget that feeling of not having control

I’ve been feeling unheard. People ask “what do you need help with” and they’re just empty questions. We are rebuilding, waiting on architects to get back to us on DA applications, going through mountains of paperwork that tends to contradict itself. Ridiculous demands that just cannot be met

@Poppet1 well done for getting some professional support as well. you may not have lost anything but the fires were absolutley terrifying
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance