Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Booklover
Contributor

Struggling with addiction

Just realised that I am an addict and have been for most of my life. The problem is that I replaced drugs with food and now I can’t stop eating to satisfy my cravings. When I diet I become so depressed or terrified that I need to eat. And worse…I’d prefer the drugs or drink. Being a chronic medication resistant schizophrenic, every day is a new experience in stress. So, my question is…does anyone know how to cope with addiction? I have plenty of doctors, who I’m going to talk to, and I realise I can join an AA meeting etc. I’m just hoping for an epiphany. If addiction is forever, I’m in trouble. I’d love to stop eating but would have to starve to be successful. I try to do things I enjoy but when they fail me, I hit rock bottom all over again. Any tips?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Struggling with addiction

That's a tough one @Booklover . I don't want to sound like I'm trivialising things, but with my food cravings, I worked on a lot of mindfulness. Every day, I'd play a 'Cravings' mindfulness program on the Smiling Mind app and I'd work through the desire to go an get something to eat.

Of course, I ensured I wasn't hungry first. So I've have regular healthy meals and when the cravings came, I could tell myself they were cravings and not just because I was hungry.

As I said, this may not work for everyone, but it's worked for me.

I hope you find what works. I hear how upsetting it can be not to have control over urges or cravings. I've experienced addiction before, and really had to finds ways that helped me.

Hi @Booklover 

Hope this find you well.  I certainly can identify with your situation as I was addicted to drugs for over 20 years, it was only through COVID that I was forced to go cold turkey.  Its been 4 years now and i'm clean, but yes sometimes I do have cravings, and sometimes food turned into that craving.  I must have an addictive personality as I get really into things and sometimes I get lost in them.  One that has been a positive in my life is "geocaching" -- its all about solving puzzels and problems, which leads you to finding caches.  It has you out in the open air, and you end up getting quite a bit of exercise, look it up,  it worked for me, maybe for you..............Asgard

Never heard of geocaching before but it really sounds like fun. My only problem is that I don’t leave the house. I can’t even get out into the garden. Yet. I do however know others that can benefit from such an activity. 😀 Thank you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance