Skip to main content
Oaktree
Senior Contributor

How To

If you are new to Sane, Welcome!

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 8.57.30 pm.png

On this thread I am going to leave some instructions for your first experiences in posting to help you out. I am still learning so I will ask others for help with these instructional posts. 

Nice to have you here on the forums.

10 REPLIES 10
Oaktree
Senior Contributor

Re: How To

Making a new discussion post

Have a look at the top of the page. There is a teal bar with new written there. Press new, choose a topic by clicking on the arrow in the box and scrolling down to the topic you want to post in eg. social spaces

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 8.58.58 pm.png

Type a title, this is usually something describing what you are talking about.

Now click in the main box and start typing what you want to say. You can say anything you like as long as it conforms to Community Guidelines.

When you have finished your post press 'Post' which is below the box on the right-hand side in a bubble.

Oaktree
Senior Contributor

Tagging a forums member

If you want to respond to a forums member and you want them to be notified of your response then you need to tag them. In order to tag someone you type the @ symbol and start typing their username. A drop down box will appear below and you select their name when it comes up. It should appear in blue like this eg. @tyme 

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 9.02.05 pm.png

If it comes up in blue and their name is spelt correctly then they will get a notification and next time they are online they can check your message.

Oaktree
Senior Contributor

Checking your Notifications 

At the top of the page in the teal bar there is a little bell symbol. It is located next to the new bubble. Press on the bell and your notifications will appear in a list.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 9.11.20 pm.png

Click on one to go to that message. After you have read that you can reply. Then you just click on the bell again to go to your next notification

Oaktree
Senior Contributor

Replying to a message 

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 9.16.32 pm.png

At the bottom of any message there is a black bubble that has reply typed in it. Click on this bubble and type your response making sure that you tag the person or persons that you are replying to. Your reply will come up on the last page of that thread. You can also hit quick reply and leave a message 

Oaktree
Senior Contributor

Posting a photograph 

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 9.13.09 pm.png

Quite often your photos are too big of a file size to post. To get around this problem you just screenshot your photo and resize it by pulling in the sides and top of the screenshot. Then you can type something in your post or not. Press the little picture icon which is kind of greyed out at the top of this box and then choose your photo, I usually do this from my photo library. Select your photo and then wait for it to upload. Then press post. Your photo wont appear for others until it has been approved by moderators 

Oaktree
Senior Contributor

Typing in bold and in italics 

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 9.14.53 pm.png

At the top of the box you type in there is a B and an I.

If you click on the B you will then type in bold and if you click on I you will type in italics.

MJG017
Senior Contributor

Insert a link

insert link.jpg

At the top of the box you type in, there is an Insert/edit link button.

Clicking on this button will display the insert/edit link options.

insert link box.jpg

This box has 4 sections:

Url: Type in the web address of the webpage you are linking to.

i.e., https://lifeline.saneforums.org/

Text to Display: By default this will display what you put in the Url box, but you could change it to look neater. i.e., SANE forums

Title: This is the text that will be displayed if someone hovers their mouse over the link. (this is optional)

Target: This will give you two options for when someone clicks on the link you've inserted. Open in current page (default) and Open in a new page (opens the like in a new tab)

Click the OK button to insert your new link into your post.

- hope you don't mind the assist @Oaktree... can't sleep, so I thought i'd help out.  I can remove or edit if you wish.

MJG017
Senior Contributor

Quote a post your are replying to

toolbar-expand.jpg

First you will need to expand the toolbar by clicking on the Expand toolbar button.

You will then see the expanded toolbar with more options.

toolbar quote.jpg

If you click on the Quote button, the post you are replying to will be pasted as a quote into your reply, ready for you to add your own message underneath.  For example:

quote reply.jpg

Oaktree
Senior Contributor

Support a post or see who supported your post

To support a post you just click on the love heart at the bottom until it turns blue.

To see who supported your post you can click on the number of supports and a list of supporters will appear with how long ago they supported your post.