Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

@Slybaby 

I think @BatGuano has hit the nail square like on the noggin.

As he said Charity is a Hebrew interpretation of Love. They basically mean the same conccept.

With that in mind there is an old folk saying. Often confusedly attributed to the bible, but it's not in there,

Charity begins at home.

Love begins at home. 

Self love begins with the self. 

I don't believe that love is an emotion or can even be effected by emotion. Over the years I have come to understand more as a force.

It is independant of humanity. Animals are able to project love. This is obvious in primates, dogs, cats, elephants are very domonstrative. And if we accept that love is a force even animals are subject to then it is a force that we as an intelligent species of ape, also may experience love.

Love of the self covers so much ground. It's most basic and rudimentary form is the need to take care of ourselves, simply so we remain alive.

From my observations and my own experience it is intrinsic. We are born into it.

Show yourself some old fashioed charity. As it always begins at home (within the self) we can have that level of self care and then we can move onwards to show charity to others. 

It starts though at home.

Hope like Love is a force that is independent of circumstances and that is why

Hope endures

Rick

Re: What is the point of living a life like this?

Help. 😞 im terrified to start uni and i feel like i cant do it at all. I dont know what to do anymore

Hi Slybaby, it sounds like you are feeling overwhelmed with the start of the uni year. Starting something new or stepping into new environments can be very challenging and overwhelming when you don't know what to expect.  Have you had an opportunity to look into what support services are available on campus or through the faculty? I have seen in previous posts that @kato @peace @kenny66 @kristin @Rick @BatGuano have shared some great strategies and tips on how they have dealt with challenging situations.

Think back to a time in the past when you have felt overwhelmed and you have used a strategy that has been helpful, is this something you could use this time.

Is there anyone on the Forum who has some useful tips on how Slybaby can navigate uni life?

Archie

@Slybaby 

Hi slybaby, i too struggle with fear, i find myself getting all worked up over small things and big things, i was talking with my psychologist about it the other day, and she told me to question the thought, and then when you have an answer, if there is still fear from what your answer was, then question that thought, eventually, you come to the reason, of the fear and can address it better,

I would like to ask you what you are fearing with Uni?

you don't have to answer, if you do not wish

hope this can help 🙂

Welcome @Slybaby,
Congratulations on getting into Uni! Well done for applying and getting accepted, further education is just so interesting, at any time or stage of life!
My question is, are you attending Uni fir the first time? Are you a young or nature age student?

The majority of Uni's provide excellent student services through the student union and usually pastoral/counselling services..

There is also study supports as well, so if you would like some help in writing essays, getting organised etc it's there for you..

The trick is, building up the courage and confidence to ask...maybe you could ring student union or the faculty you are enrolled with and just enquire about orientation..have you met any other students yet? It is a pretty enormous step starting Uni, and most first year students are pretty nervous about timetables, classes, locations, study load..

BUT you can do this! And we are here to listen...how can we help you get to Uni?

Age not being an issue at all, but as I am of a certain age and went to Uni last year, I was delighted to find a pretty even spread of ages..so not the only old fart, and the younger students were lovely. Good to be around a diverse range iof life experience and energies.. Some students only study online as the course isn't available locally, or they might have work or other barriers that prevent attending in person.. Do you have online components to Uni?
It is scary the first few days, so many classes and new people to meet. Depends also on whether you are in large classes or lectures, or smaller classes. My first degree I didn't attend any classes, in first 6 months ..uni was fine so long as I handed everything in on time and went to exams..started attending once I had money saved up..well some classes..

Hi I'm Rachel brave 1 girl look I get like that nervous over nothing but realise why are you nervous try these tips when you get nervous meditate ok or listen to music /or the radio please don't give in to this fear ok

Hi I'm brave 1 ok it's alright

I have the same problem and it cripples my day to day life I feel I am at a stage of life that I am smart enough and have the support mechanisms in place to start and try and become social but day to day life is full of anxiety and depression.

Its good to know someone else out there has the same difficulty and is trying to do something about it.

I hope this post helps.

Hello @Troubled_One the kicker with anxiety is that it doesn't discriminate around how smart you are..it's a tricky little dragon that likes to breathe lots of fire to stop you doing what you want to do..

Sometimes the only way to beat its bluff is to build some fireproof armour, say thanks to your dragon and go out regardless..

Dragons best friend is panic, so you might find your hands sweat, your breath is shallow and maybe even shake, a bit or a lot.. That's OK though, coz it's just your body being super vigilant..

It took me many trips to make friends with my dragon..many attempts at leaving the house..and sometimes I couldn't even do that..but, over time I eventually did...and joining a peer support group was the key...

It will get better..it will.. As @Rick says..hope endures...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance