Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Sick of being a female and fed up with this world

@girl99 @Appleblossom @frog @Queenie @greenpea

@Sahara Thank you for tagging me with your posts, really appreciated. 

You are very eloquent, Sahara, and I agree with, I think, all of what you've mentioned. I have not yet read Clementine Ford's book, I will put in on my list though.

The suffragettes have a special place in my admiration for their bravery in the face of the awful expectations of their time. 

I used to call myself a feminist when feminism meant that the genders were equal and we were all better off helping each other to better outcomes, but that changed many years ago. I probably became a bit radical for a time, in my anger at having to do and be better than men at the same things. My experiences include being in the first 300 women allowed to do a particular job that previously had not allowed women to enter. The stories I can tell. 

I used to march and be involved in various awareness programs, now my health issues mean I am more on the sidelines. 

One of the most powerful groups I've ever seen in action was (is) the CWA (each state has their own set up) Country Women's Association. These groups take up suggestions from their members about areas that need changes made. One such situation about 30, maybe 40 years ago was the visibility of outback trains and train crossings. Many deaths were occurring because the long, long trains were not visible at crossings and cars were crashing into them. Thanks to the actions of the CWA, outback trains now have reflective strips. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if anyone is interested in joining a group to make a difference for females, it doesn't need to be outwardly activist. 

I loathe how the media currently portrays supposed news. On the up side, there have  been, as Sahara mentioned, more females and males speak up about the damages being done to women and girls in some of the most ordinary of circumstances. 

@Former-Member @Sahara @Appleblossom @frog @Queenie

thank you for your support and I will look more into 'feminism' although I think women as slaves is pretty much how we are in the world.  I think religion has a lot to be blamed for about how badly women are treated. Many of those old fashioned sexist views keep on being passed on through the generations and being exempt from criticism because they are 'religious'.

I read a book called the Womans Room and it summed up my thoughts exactly.  It's an older book written in the 60s but seems still relevant today in so many ways. I did read that men thought the best world invention was the computer, but the best inventions (voted by women) were contraception and female sanitary products and that made me laugh that we just want simpler solutions to our main issues revolving around contraception and biology.  I think most women just want life to be fairer as women seem so suffer so much because of biological stuff which is beyond our control.  

When men make choices women pay the price

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/barnaby-joyce-affair-shows-how-when-men-make-abysmal-choices-women-pay-the-price-20180215-p4z0ij.html

Please keep recommending books and movies as I am writing them all down. Thank you 🙂

That's a very well written article @girl99 about how women are expected to be treated/ behave, and the older I get, the angrier and more frustrated I feel that in all the years I've been around, practically nothing (really wanted to use more colourful language here) has changed. Smiley Frustrated

Throughout my early working years, the wording on various legal documents included the word '...man' (eg 'garbageman') there was no room for women, or political correctness as in 'garbage collector, or garbage person. The previously male only workplace was outrageously anti-women to the point of assault and hazing us to get rid of us. 

Because of that word, I, and every other woman in that working environment, was prevented from signing those documents even though I (we) was/were  properly registered etc to do so. 

So while so called political correctness might seem to have gone mad, it certainly has a place in bringing about some semblance of gender balance. 

Oh, my, I so strongly agree with you also on the influence religion has on keeping women and children in a position of denigration. The influence is so covert that often people don't realise how deeply they, and those around them, are affected by it. The most appalling thing, imo, is that because religion is an accepted pass-time, so too are its effects. 

One of the most influential books for me in days gone by has been The Cinderella Complex, author Collette Dowling ... (thank you DuckDuckGo!) This book opened my eyes to the ways women are subjugated by society into believing they need someone to look after them. It was hard to read and it was written in the '80s, I expect it would still have relevence today. It changed me forever, and I'm glad it did. 

Also, The Road Less Travelled can be a useful read to get a different perspective on how to shift old patterns of behaviour and beliefs. I can forgive the author being christian because he is aware of, and writes about how some of the flaws of religion negatively influence lives. 

Yes, the ridiculous fears and other horrors that revolve around female biology. so unnecessary. 

I knew a woman who used to leave a big tampon box on her car seat as a deterent for theft. she'd inadvertently discovered that just the sight of a tampon box was enough to deter men and boys from interupting conversations, so she carried that over to into other aspects. We all had a laugh and who knows how effective it might actually have been. 

@girl99 @Sahara @Appleblossom @frog @Queenie I live for better days. Let's do as Girl99 asks and share the knowledge we have stored away somewhere. 

I agree @girl99Marilyn French's book Women Room opened my eyes when I was in early 20s. Its readable.

I like Emily Dickinson's and Adrienne Rich's poetry. The recent film about ED A Quiet Passion addresses some of the religious issues. ED was greateful that she was ALLOWED to write poetry even though it was only during the middle of the night, her father was a bit religious and controlling.

@Former-Memberlove your tampon story ... ha ha

Yes I had a wonderful morning at zoo with lots of women and 3 men learning aboiuyt croaky and feathery things.

Share the love.  Gotta fly.

@girl99 How are you doing?

I know good men too.   

Recently, I saw a British thriler called "An Honourable Woman". It showed both terrible and inspiring scenes and is about the Gaza strip.  I like women protagonists in film and books.  

Things have slipped backwards in society with a conservative swing. We have to try not to let it get us down.

@Appleblossom

Thank you for your message. I haven't been around in a while. Thank you for thinking of me.

I always enjoy recommendations of books or films with good strong female lead characters 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance