Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Liltla
Casual Contributor

Feeling confused and overwhelmed

Hello everyone, this is my first time ever really speaking out to anyone and feeling somewhat slightly comfortable so forgive me if I mess anything up. For a very long time I’ve felt negative about myself but over the past 4 years it’s gotten to the point where now I basically am not living my life it’s like I’m on autopilot just trying to make it through each day without breaking. I’ve relied so much on self medicating and self help to suppress everything that it’s now all just one big ball of a mess, I quit my job 6 months ago because it ruined me so much only to go back to it because I wasn’t doing any better being at home and I thought I was ready but I’m realising that nothing’s changed. My boyfriend of 8 years doesn’t know how to support me and I’ve bottled things for so long that I can’t seem to open up to anyone not even professionals. These past 2 days have felt extremely hard though and I don’t know why but all I keep coming back to is how everything would stop if I ended it.

I don’t really know why I’m here or what I’m looking to get out of this but I just don’t know how much longer I can feel this way.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Feeling confused and overwhelmed

Hi @Liltla 

You are so very brave for taking this step to reach out here and speak out! It sounds like things are feeling a bit hopeless, so to push through a bit and reach out for some support is huge. We are really stoked that you have come through to the forums. Although you aren't sure what you are looking to get out of here, maybe a bit of connection with other people that have had similar experiences might help. 

When you say you have had trouble opening up, have you ever tried to with your boyfriend of professionals? What has happened when you have tried that? Maybe we can help you think about ways you could help your loved ones understand what is happening for you?

As others come through here, maybe they can share how they may have communicated to friends, family or professionals about the tough time they may be having?

Again, glad you joined the community @Liltla and welcome. 

Hi @Liltla , welcome to the forums.   It's nice to meet you.  I'm sorry you have been going through such a hard time for so long.  It's great that you have reached out for help and I hope you can find some support from the people here. It's good that you have been able to get yourself through these hard times.  

I think its hard for people that don't have the experience we do to understand just how hard it can be.  It's a pretty common theme I have noticed here and elsewhere.  Its somewhat of a relief its not just me.  Maybe you can make a list up of all the things that you have bottled up, order them by priority and try and work through them as best you can.  

What kind of things do you do to unwind or that brings you comfort?  There's a lot of discussions on here and some good social threads you can read over and participate in.  If you want to let people know you have replied you can tag them like @Liltla 

One of my favourite's recently is this one about self love https://saneforums.org/t5/Our-stories/Self-love-and-Self-Hatred/m-p/693107

Sending you warm thoughts and some virtual hugs, hang in there and take care.

Hi @Liltla 

I am sorry you feel so bad - I can't imagine what that feels like but ending it isn't the answer either - so I am really glad you have reached out to us and are looking for help - this is a good sign - 

You must feel terribly lost and lonely - the forum family is here to help - it's a peer support programme and we are kind people who do our best to help each other through the tough times - there are plenty of people here who do know what you feel like right now and they will find there way though here to your message in time - I hope that's soon

But in the meantime - yes - I understand that - can you talk to your GP about it - that is always a good place to start - and of course your boyfriend - it's easier said than done - we know that - friends on the ground are good too but mostly

I am glad you found us - today's it's very cold where I am - if you are cold rug up and keep warm and try self-care - If you read though the messages here you might find some hints - we share ideas - there's something for everyone here

Dec

Welcome @Liltla and we're sending hugs your way. We're so glad that you chose to open up on the forum. Sometimes writing things down can be a lot easier than talking about it, is it possible to write down how you are feeling and share with your GP? 

In regards to your boyfriend, it's often common that our family and friends don't really understand how we feel so am unsure how to support us. This factsheet on "Is someone you know unwell" may help your partner understand a little bit more about what is going on. 

Thank you for your reply @Lauz  it definitely feels really good to finally feel like I’ve found a place to be able to fully express my true feelings and thoughts

I’ve previously spoken to professionals and my boyfriend about my true feelings however I have found that I don’t really know how to express myself because I don’t feel like I know exactly what’s wrong but most of the time I’ve chosen to keep myself quiet or isolated

im very excited to meet others who have similar experiences to myself as I am yet to meet anyone who I can relate to 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance